What is Invisalign?
At Mashouf Orthodontics, we’re proud to offer a wide variety of orthodontic treatments to patients throughout the San Jose, CA area – and that means much more than just traditional metal braces! In addition to braces, we also offer clear braces, lingual braces, Invisalign, and clear aligner treatment. But those last two are often confusing for our patients – aren’t Invisalign & clear aligners effectively the same? What’s the difference between these two treatments?
The Difference Between Invisalign & Clear Aligners
As it turns out, these two treatments are different in subtle, but important, ways. The truth is, they’re essentially the same form of orthodontic treatment: instead of metal brackets and wires, they use a series of clear, removable aligners to straighten the teeth. These aligners are almost invisible when worn and can be taken out to eat, drink, brush, and floss, providing a number of conveniences and benefits. The main difference between them is the name: Invisalign is a name-brand product, while clear aligners are simply the same orthodontic treatment method without the branding.
Benefits of Clear Aligners
But the differences go beyond just the name. In fact, treatment with clear aligners is often cheaper, faster, and even more convenient than treatment with Invisalign itself! Here are a few of the benefits of clear aligners as compared to Invisalign:
- Customized Treatment: With Invisalign, we send your treatment plan to the Invisalign company, which then manufactures your aligners. Clear aligners allow us more control in the treatment process, allowing us to use our own manufacturer and control your treatment more directly.
- Speed: Because of this increased control, we can often perform your treatment more quickly.
- Quick Turnaround: We use a local lab for manufacturing clear aligners, which means you’ll get your aligners and start your treatment faster. Turnaround time for clear aligners is roughly 2 to 3 weeks, as opposed to 4 or 5 weeks with Invisalign.
- Fewer Aligners: Because we control the process directly, we can often treat patients with fewer aligners using clear aligner treatment.
- Cost: Clear aligners don’t have the same branding as Invisalign, so you’re paying less for a virtually identical form of treatment!
Schedule a Consultation with Your San Jose, CA Orthodontist
While both are excellent options for orthodontic treatment, clear aligners offer a number of advantages over both braces and Invisalign – and because it’s such a discreet form of treatment, it’s hugely popular with our adult orthodontic treatment patients. If you’re interested in learning more about how clear aligners can revolutionize your own smile, we’d be thrilled to help. Call us today at (408) 266-8820 to learn more about clear aligners and orthodontic treatment in general, and if you’d like to get started on the path towards a brand new smile, just request an appointment online at our San Jose office. We can’t wait to hear from you!